Thursday, August 28, 2008

"Leaves are falling all around, 'time I was on my way..."

I really need to get started planning a fall vacation. I love, Love, LOVE October weather and it always gives me the itch to get out and explore.

I can't get enough people to commit to a camping trip, so I'm not going to try to herd cats there. Vermont would be an obvious choice if I hadn't been there, oh, 500 hours ago (not that I'm counting). I really want to get back to Bar Harbor sometime soon, but Maine's a longer trip than what I'm considering at this point. I think a four or five-day weekend will do just fine.

I suppose the leading contender at this point is Asheville. The drive's not that long. There are some things in the area that I didn't get to see on the last trip and some that I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Keeping the trip short does limit the options a bit. I don't want to go to an area that I'd rather see in depth, particularly if it's relatively far away.

There's a Good Eats gathering in the Houston area in early November. The guy organizing it is a long-time online bud who keeps threatening to visit Maryland but never does (gee, that sounds far too familiar). That might be pretty cool. Based on the comments to my cheesecake post, it sounds like I have an open invitation to KC as well. LOL

6 comments:

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I love October too. It's my favorite month of the year. I got married in Oct (twice, lol) and had my youngest in October. There's so much I love about it...the foilage, Halloween, baking weather, nights by the fire all cozied up with a sweater on. I wish it was October year round. I even like the word October (no danglers). When I was doing calligraphy I loved words with no danglers. Even made sure my kids names didn't have them. How sick am I?? Don't answer that.

We are hopefully headed to Maine for our anniversary. Luckily for us, depending on which part of Maine we visit, it can be a day trip.

kat said...

You know, there's always BitD, which is in the middle of the lovely fall foliage season here in beautiful Wisconsin. Just sayin'.

October's my favorite month as well - the weather is perfect, the colors are gorgeous, pumpkin everything, and.. well... my birthday! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I second Kat's BitD suggestion! Come to the Dells and the brewfest!

Unknown said...

I wanna go camping *kicks dirt* I will have to live vicariously through you for awhile. Take lots of pictures regardless of where you go.

Jules said...

Thirding Kat's BitD suggestion (and I promise that I won't wish ya' a happy anything, and I won't wonder where you've been) ;-)

PF said...

LOL @ Jules.

Hey Jami, yanno it is supposed to rain on Saturday. How about we burn all the boxes after we're done and I'll cook something awesome over the embers? Swedish barbecue?