I don't quite understand the cult of message board well-wishing. I get that there will be threads recognizing birthdays, marriages, births, deaths, and everything in-between. When I've considered myself close enough to a person to feel comfortable in doing so, I've even started some of them.
The part I don't get is what follows. More often than not, I don't respond to those threads. I try to save my responses for those involving people whom I like and feel I actually "know" somewhat. Sympathy threads may be an exception, but for the most part, I think a lot of the value of the sentiment disappears when one offers to everyone, like a waiter passing out hors d'œuvres at a party.
"Smoked salmon canapé with cucumber and a congratulations on your best friend's neighbor's son's bar mitzvah?"
"Don't mind if I do!"
There are some generally good people who take the time to respond to a majority of those threads out of genuine kindness. Bravo to them. However, the cynic in me wonders about the sincerity of a few who scatter their wishes about. It almost seems like a race or contest with them.
"Well, I said 'Happy Birthday" first!"
"Yeah? Well, I added a *smooch* and used their real first name!"
In some instances, I think it almost appears as a recruitment drive - "Come over to my side, I obviously like you more! (What's your name again?)"
One of my favorites is when someone (especially an infrequent poster) has been away from a board for an extended period and announces that they're back. Then someone announces "Oh, (Insert Name Here), I've missed you. I was JUST wondering about you!" What a coincidence! Well, at least the first time. It's amazing that one person can resurrect the message board lives of a dozen different people just throught the power of thought.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Just when I was going to post that I am back and that my Nana passed away last Friday....
Oh yeah, and my 30th anniversary was on the 19th and my birthday was on the 21st!
A quadruple whammy;)
Diane
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that. I loved reading your posts about her, so I know that's a tough one for you (remembering what you wrote in the thread about my mother).
You should definitely still post whatever you were going to say about all of it. You're smart enough to know what's sincere and what's not.
PF, you are one of my favorite people. You have the gift of knowing the right things to say and are able to articulate you feelings so well. I love reading your blog and any posts you make on the GEFP.
I know this is a hard time of year for you. I wish I could say that over time things get better. Like you said, they just get different.
Not a day goes by that I don't think of my Dad. Now I can add Nana to that list. I am so lucky to have had my Nana for 53 years. I only wish you could have had your Mom for that long.
Take care of yourself.
Diane
Post a Comment