I read Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan Friday afternoon (it's a scant hundred and fifty pages) and couldn't help being reminded of one of my internet acquaintances, whom I was visualizing as the lead character when I read.

I recommended the book to him and he said he'd "definitely check it out" but that it might "hit too close to home." Uh, yeah, that's why I recommended it.
As I mentioned, it's a short book, so most of the backstory is left to the imagination. That's frustrating in a sense, but there's also a major sense of reality in that the denouement one expects never really arrives.
Kinda like real life.
I love this quote from the jacket...
"Last Night at the Lobster is a poignant yet redemptive look at what a man does when he discovers that his best might not be good enough."
Yeah, it's like that.

0 comments:
Post a Comment