Monday, December 24, 2007

At this rate...

... by the end of the week, I'll have friends show up with Italian artisans in tow, wanting to know where I want my custom wood-fired oven installed.

A day after I was surprised with the wicked cool, handmade salt cellar, two very special people came by and gave the best gift ever...

... their friendship.

Though I couldn't possibly want for more than that, they felt the need to bring a more "traditional" present, which just blew me away - a John Boos lyptus end-grain chopping block.

Boos blocks are very good stuff. You'll see them on just about every cooking show on TV. The thing is very heavy and solid as a rock. I love the look of the lyptus and think it's very cool that my friends are "in the know" enough to get an end-grain board. ;)

It really is perfect. I've looked at Boos blocks many times before. I generally don't deny myself something I'd like as much as that, but for some reason, I never allowed myself to get one. Perhaps because I thought they were too extravagant.

I do admit to being a little hesitant to actually use it. It's like a work of art. I'm sure I'll get over that soon enough, though. I'll take All-Clad camping, but this definitely stays safe at home.

I'm not in the habit of requesting specific gifts, even when asked, but had I asked for something, it would have been exactly this.

0 comments: