Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Keen Grocer

I ran into my cousin in the grocery store today and we spent a couple minutes catching up. Alaska? Awesome. College? Coming up soon. Blah blah blah.

I asked where some of her friends were headed off to school and she mentioned the usual suspects... U of MD, UMBC, and others. She started to tell me about one of her friends but then trailed off (I'll call her Lindsay, 'cause that's her name). She and Lindsay were close - not BFF close, but close enough. In some story whose plot I largely missed while pondering honeydew melons, Lindsay is no longer talking to her because of some ridiculous misunderstanding. She knows it's not her fault and she's tried to make nice anyway, but Lindsay keeps rebuffing her.

I told her to walk.

She looked at me as if I had three heads.

I explained that if Lindsay is that comfortable leaving their relationship behind, it clearly didn't mean that much to her in the first place.

If only I had run into more relatives in the grocery store when I was her age...

0 comments: