I was talking to a friend recently about some of the good things I've experienced lately and some more that are in the works. Though life is far from perfect (as any readers of this blog no doubt know), my gushing came with some pangs of guilt. It began to feel like bragging and I started to offer an apology, which was quickly waved off with an understanding smile.
I've come to realize that I shouldn't have to defend any amount of good fortune and its concomitant happiness. As I said to her, I've waited a long time to find a worthy person with whom to share things. I've been around friends who turned out not to be. Love that wasn't. Illness. Loss.
I *have* held the hand of a devil. And now that I've started to find what I'm looking for, I offer no apologies.
Friday, July 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
The fact that someone would feel guilty for their good fortune (myself *more* than included), is, in my belief, because they have known some measure of bad luck and/or adversity, and know how it feels to be suffering while others are experiencing good fortune. It make the good fortune sweeter, and quite deserved. So... good for your good fortune!
Don't ever apologize or feel guilty for being happy. It's what everyone else is working hard to attain. :)
Post a Comment