Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pushing Daisies

As the kind petal pushers at Proflowers.com have been reminding me for weeks, today would have been my mother's birthday. As far as they know, she can still sign for delivery. (Yes, I know they ship without requiring a signature. Work with me here.)

It's one of the last major annual events we've yet to experience since she died. The anniversary of her death will probably be one of the hardest days of the year. I suspect that'll always be the case, at least for me. My parents would have been married 40 years this November, so I'm sure that will be tough on my father, too.

Soon after she died, someone said to me "I know the next year will be tough on you." I was a bit taken aback at the time wondering if they meant what I was feeling in those first days would continue over the months to follow. Those same feelings don't persist, but new ones take their place. The new ones aren't constant, but more insidious - popping up almost out of nowhere at times.

I guess that's what happens when someone's in your heart.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((PF)))))

Last weekend I was in a Spruce Pine restaurant, a local mom n' pop kinda place*, and saw an elderly man who reminded me so much of my dad that I had to leave early. Same age (that he would be were he still living), same height, same build, same hair, same ears, same facial structure. It was uncanny. Sometimes these things just hit you. And it's been 12 1/2 years....

Lee


*had some awesome catfish!

PF said...

Thanks, Lee. I know just what you mean. I've seen a few "clones" myself. And every woman of her age seemed to be wearing her favorite coat this past winter.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

It took me 7 years to make my Pa's favorite cake. 7 years for goodness sake! I still tear up when I see Lorna Doones, or those marshmallow pinwheel cookies, or hear Nat King Cole, pick a ripe tomato, see someone put tabasco sauce on their eggs....you get the idea.

Although it's painful to experience those things, I'm trying to make them into happy memories for the boys. It' not always easy to do, but I'm getting better at it. You will too. (((Brandon)))

~lifedramatic~ said...

(((((((Brandon)))))))

C

kat said...

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} Sometimes, I still wear my Grandma's favorite perfume. I have at least 6 other bottles of perfume I prefer, but sometimes, I just need to.