Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Leaving the Nest

I'm a little sad that big #75 is retiring. Everyone knew that the time was near, but it still feels like the end of an era.

Ogden was the Ravens' first draft pick after they moved from Cleveland in the winter of '95-'96. Choosing him over bust-to-be Lawrence Phillips set precedent for a string of productive drafts by the team. They were never able to put a consistent quarterback behind him, but he was an absolute rock on the left side of the line for many, many years. Further, with the exception of his unintentionally comedic dancing in local car insurance commercials, he did it with class and dignity.

The Saturday of that first draft, I was at school taking the MCAT. I had largely decided to forgo medical school by that point, but I was taking the test anyway since the registration was non-refundable. My mind was clearly not on DNA or ATP, but on OTs, MLBs, and WRs. When we got a short break between exam sections, everyone else cracked open books or note cards to do some last-minute studying for the next topic. What did I do? I ran to the campus computer lab to see who the Ravens took with the fourth selection in the first round.

0 comments: