Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Baltimore via Vermont

I'm always skeptical when I see my hometown foods interpreted by outsiders. While Guy Fieri may not have butchered pit beef, rest assured that when you order something like "Maryland crab cakes" outside of the Chesapeake region, you're generally getting nothing like the real thing.

I just was browsing the King Arthur Flour site and came across their version of Baltimore's Berger Cookies.


Apparently, that's the updated version, as their first interpretation had been done without the benefit of ever having tasted one. ("Maryland crab cake" makers take note!)

Berger Cookies are the type of local goodie that gets sent in care packages to homesick former residents and internet friends. They're definitely over-the-top, but that's what makes them awesome.

Based on appearances alone, it looks like bakers in Vermont have come remarkably close, at least enough to induce a Berger craving. I've very tempted to rush home, whip up some batter, form the cookies, bake them, mix up some ganache, wait for the...

Screw it - I'm just going to the store. :)

1 comments:

kat said...

Dammit, now I want a black-and-white cookie, and the only place I can get a decent one in this city is all the way across town. Oh well. I really shouldn't, anyway.