I had some fun yesterday trying to come up with an "ultimate" pulled pork sandwich. It all started with a discussion about BBQ sauce over at the Good Eats Fan Page, in which I said how I really liked a particular South Carolina-style (mustard-based) sauce.
That started me thinking about each of the sandwich components individually. Since I'm not a big fan of slaw, I decided to top it with some simple refrigerator pickles instead, which really are a nice sweet and cool balance to the warmth and tanginess of the sauce.
The pièce de résistance, however, came when I started thinking about the bread. Cornbread was the first thing that came to mind, but I realized it wouldn't hold up too well in a sandwich. I envisioned something like a cross between cornbread and a hamburger bun, but didn't find any recipes on the 'net that I thought were close enough, so I just made one up.
I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's pretty darn close to what I was imagining. Maybe with one or tweaks. My friend Lee may yell at me because it has honey (and maybe because of the yeast, too), but hopefully I redeemed myself by using white cornmeal.

Of course, after making everything else from scratch (I even grew that sage myveryownselfthankyouverymuch), I couldn't plate it which a store-bought accompaniment, so I the chips are also homemade, seasoned with some extra pork rub (Chris Lilly's recipe) that I whirled a bit in the food processor. Those were awesome, especially for a last-minute idea.

0 comments:
Post a Comment