The City of Gold
I grew up on 55 acres in suburbia. It felt like the country, however. The only land I could see that wasn't "ours" was across the water. We had lots of trees and green, open spaces and few neighbors. I'm a country boy at heart (or a least a low-population density suburban one).
What I'm getting at here is...
I hate the city.
I hate the crime and the grime and the lack of trees and open space and adequate parking and personal responsibility. I hate the traffic. I hate the crowds. I hate the people.
If the appropriate jobs and sports teams and fine dining establishments ever escaped the concrete jungle, I'd be perfectly happy never to set foot in a city again.
However, there is at least one thing about the city that makes me smile.
A handful of days each year, the timing of my commute in from the 'burbs coincides with sunrise such that the nascent light illuminates the facades of all the buildings downtown - making the entire city look like it was made of gold.
And then I hit a pothole.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That's the awesome thing about Madison - it's city enough to placate my city girl heart, while close enough to rolling countryside to satisfy my country boy husband. If it wouldn't mean taking you away from crabs and the ocean, I'd suggest a locale change.
Unfortunately, choice science jobs are generally clustered in more urban/ high-population density settings. I'm glad I don't live in the city, but it would be nice not to have to go there at all (for anything).
Providence gives me panic attacks. There are some great stores and restaurants there, but I rarely go cause I hate the traffic, and noise and even the smell of it. John works smack dab in the middle of it. I'm so glad I don't.
Hey, they do some kickass science here at the Yew-Dub. Jus' sayin' - but again, no crabs.
Post a Comment