Monday, March 3, 2008

Loose Ends

After I showed my initial sketch, I promised a couple people that I'd post a picture of my mother's headstone here when it arrived. It was installed last week.

It looks better in person because the photos picked up a lot of reflections including the straw that's still on the ground from when the grass seed was spread. Vases will go on the base at both ends, but I was out of town this weekend and didn't have a chance to go pick them out.

There's symbolism in all of it. The pier/rowboat/heron element is almost exactly as it would have appeared from the house where she spent almost all her life. The geese and fishing boat are references, too. I'm the lighthouse, FWIW. One of the interpretations of my name is "beacon light."

I blurred the name details, since this is the internet and things aren't really real, ya know?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow that really is a beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a headstone like that. It's beautiful.

Unknown said...

I think it's so beautiful because it's so meaningful. I know your mom would be touched at the thought and effort that you put into making her memorial so special.

kat said...

That's gorgeous.