Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Sugared" Steak 1.0

There was a discussion on one of my message boards this week about chefs using a light dusting of sugar on steaks in order to achieve a better crust.

Thanks to Charlene, I knew that the great ribeye I had in Asheville had brown sugar in its spice rub. She was able to get a server to give her the ingredients in the rub, but not their proportions.

The "sugared" steak discussion prompted me to see if I could reverse-engineer the rub. My first effort was pretty good, even though I used just a NY strip from the supermarket.

I think I need to double the salt and double (or triple) the amount of chili powder, as they were both less prominent on the steak than in the little bit I sampled out of the mixing bowl. All the elements seemed to be there, though. I think those changes will be fairly close to what I remember.

The one other thing I want to do next time is to make extra rub and press the steak into it, rather than just trying to rub it in. I'd like the flavor of the rub to be more "up front."

The sugar seemed to contribute to a really nice crust. It does impart a very slight sweetness (at least with the amount I used), but I like that effect. It was one of the things that stood out for me in the steak I liked in Asheville.

I'm calling this one a success.


*nom nom nom*

0 comments: