I just heard "Next Year" by the Foo Fighters on the radio. I haven't heard that song in what seems like forever. Of course, it made me think of Ed, which, after Northern Exposure, was probably my favorite show of all time. ("Next Year" was used as its theme song for most of its run.)
God, what I wouldn't give to have Ed on DVD. I'd be first in line. It seems like they release every other show you can imagine, but not something like Ed. Apparently the hangup is that one of the companies behind the show has since dissolved and there are rights issues to overcome.
I've never felt motivated to protest or picket or rally or campaign for something, but if there's ever a "Clear Ed for DVD Release" march on Hollywood, I AM SO THERE!
I loved that show. It was quirky like NX, smart like Gilmore Girls (shut up!), and almost every character was inherently likable. Ed himself was the best, however. Ordinary guy. Loyal. Witty. Hopeless romantic. Kinda reminds me of someone. *ahem*
Ed's love interest was Carol, the lovely Julie Bowen. He'd carried a torch for her since high school and when he returns to his hometown as an adult, he attempts to win her heart.
In one early episode (the one that truly won me over as a fan), she decides to break up with her longtime boyfriend when she realizes she's not comfortable playfully tossing him a waffle at breakfast. Even though she's figured out he wasn't right for her, she still has a tough time with the breakup. Ed hears about the "waffle episode" from a mutual friend...
... Carol's softly crying in her bedroom one night when she keeps hearing thuds at her window. She goes over to open it and sees our man Ed standing below, playfully tossing waffles at it. He's come to offer some comfort, and the waffles are a not-so-subtle hint at the type of guy he is.
I could totally see myself doing that. LOL
The whole series is like that. Carol's a pretty tough nut to crack, though. Ed goes to some extremes... a skywriter, suits of armor... the whole spiel. He finally gets frustrated just as she starts to realize where her heart truly belongs...
The best is the way he proposes to her, though. He found a list of her "25 Favorite Things" that she made as a child, then...
Well, just watch...
Yeah, what kind of idiot would do that? ;)
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment