Monday, October 29, 2007

I'm not an artist; I just play one at the cemetery.

As I mentioned here, I had to submit a rough sketch several weeks ago in order to get the ball rolling on my mother's headstone, since I didn't like any of the "stock" designs. The real artist isn't local, but is in Georgia, so that has just added to the delay.

We got a proof from the artist at the cemetery on Saturday and I was really, REALLY happy with it. *Big sigh of relief* I think it's actually going to work out. I did have request a few minor changes to elements which weren't true to what I was trying to re-create, but whatever. Having to resubmit it will probably add another month to the process (which will be 8-12 weeks even after we approve a design), but I'd rather have it done right than have to go there and stare at something imperfect - as if the thought of your loved one(s) six feet under isn't imperfect enough.


This was my initial sketch. Again, I'm not an artist and I was just trying to cobble together some relevant elements as I thought of them, so the perspective is "off." Que sera sera. Almost all of them are representative of something. I think that's a lot better than something I picked out of a book.

I can live with it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice sketch, Brandon. Very tranquil.